Tuesday, 20 May 2014

#DownSyndrome - It Just Takes Them A Little Bit Longer... (poem)

Poem, Down Syndrome, Special Needs, SEN, children, It just takes them a little bit longer, time, my life my son my way, mylifemysonmyway.com, Alice Hassall, Butterflies, Down Syndrome Poem, Team 21, trisomy 21,
 
 

*Just a little note from me*

I often get asked 'When will he...?' there is no answer to that question, Kyd works at his own pace and so do all kids especially those with Down Syndrome, it is what it is.
 
We have learnt that you just go with the flow in this life, live life as and when it happens, not as and when a book says it should.
 
I learnt not to look to the future too much, as if you don't expect it, they'll shock you with all they do.
 
They will ALWAYS achieve more than you had ever expected if you don't put a schedule to their development. If you dwell on what the future may bring and when it'll bring it, you'll only be disappointing your own expectations... and that is never fun.
 
Chill out, relax and enjoy the rollercoaster that is parenting a child with Down Syndrome.
 
Oh and don't forget...
Celebrate EVERYTHING, nothing is too small to celebrate with over exaggerated praise and a slice of cake!
(maybe a gin or two after they're in bed too... obviously)
Alice, Signiture, My Life My Son My Way, mylifemysonmyway.com,

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful poem and very wise words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Marcus was a baby I used to dream that one day I'd wake up and he'd be talking, or walking, or whatever we were working so hard on. Now that he's 24, it almost feels like it happened that way. Just when I fetl like he's *never" get something...he'd get it. :) Lovely Share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you write this incredible poem Alice, yes, so true. People ask us too, when will she this and that... bt every child progresses at their own pace don't they. H x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment xx