Wednesday, 8 May 2013

Bifocals and Kyd - The Big Fight!

Bifocals... 
BIFOCALS.... 
AGED 10?!?! 
Are you serious?

I thought Bifocals were for old people. I hadn't really thought about it though to be honest but I'd never seen them on a child.
Poor Kyd is on his second pair of glasses in as many months and that is because his eyes are constantly changing and currently not focusing on anything because his muscles are too lazy, according to the Orthoptics department.

It is a common complaint in children with Down Syndrome apparently although it is a nightmare to get them to use them as they tend to sneakily look over the top of the little square instead of using it during reading etc.

It is, however, also quite bloody difficult to get a pair of glasses to fit both a Bifocal lens and Kyd's high standards of fashion it would seem.
He does often look like Alan Carr when he puts them on... But he quite likes that!

I have created a monster.

I am very fussy about what Kyd wears, in general, always have been. I believe that children with Special Needs need all the help they can to fit into this picky, self obsessed world and now a days, how you look is very important... I don't know why I say now a days it always has been really!

I grew up with SEN kids and they all wore badly fitting clothes, thick glasses and bad shoes. We as kids just accepted it because 'they weren't like us'... Well they are!! They are exactly like us and if we thought that as kids... others will too. I have had this issue since he was born and it may just be me but I can't deal with it... and neither can Kyd now it seems.

Kyd has great taste. He has a particular style. He loves a good Rock look but if he can mix a bit of Batman or Star Wars into it he will. 

It doesn't stop there, he has very expensive taste in glasses.

He looks at the pairs on the shelf and says 'yes, no, yes, no, no, no, yes, no, no no, no' but this isn't in the kids bit no... this is in the Teen section! The designer Teen section... 

He so far has had more designer glasses than Gok Wan but the only issue with that is they aren't big enough for a bifocal.

This has caused so many issues for us whilst looking, it is beyond me how we got through it. We went to EVERY single opticians in Reading.

We went to the one recommended by the Doctor first... 
I HATED THEM! 
Kyd also hated them. He was so angry with the lady. He wanted ones like his Bench ones he has already or Geek style glasses. He'd already seen some of those ones on the computer during our 'research' which we do to prepare him for the shopping, instead she kept putting these hideous things on his face and saying 'ohhh aren't you handsome'. He kept looking at her like 'you patronising bitch' and I swear if he could speak clearly that is what he would have said. I ended up saying 'look he has Down Syndrome but he is 10 and a half and knows what he wants, you are giving him the opposite and not listening which is why he isn't cooperating'. She looked FUMING with me. According to the hospital this is where they send all the SEN kids because she is amazing... Kyd is not your average SEN kid and she was treating him like an idiot. 
It was offensive.
I feel for the other kids they send there. 

It is obvious to say we left.

We eventually, after about 6 different opticians, found one that did glasses he liked... but they didn't fit!! *sighs* we compromised. We picked some that would fit both the lens and his face but weren't quite what he was expecting... but they had a Nike tick and so he was sold!

He is a funny old soul and he may cost me a fortune as time goes by but at least he knows what looks good and what suits him... More than I can say for Hoff!

He's had them at school with him for a few days and his TA says he's actually using the bifocal part quite well.... Well that is a huge relief as we were expecting a fight and for him to look over the top.

All in All I think we won this fight... with only a few casualties, those being patronising old lady opticians and my wallet.

*prays to God that next time is quite a while away so I don't have to do it all over again!*

2 comments:

  1. Looking gorgeous as ever young man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post really resonated with me Alice. When Natty was born I recall a silly in-shock chat with Bob that went along the lines of 'she will always have the best glasses we can afford and the best haircuts'. And in fact I stand to that to this day because society judges our kids on how much like everyone else they look. And as our kids are just like everyone else, then so be itt... cool specs and funky hairdos it is. H x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment xx