Thursday, 24 November 2011

Forgiven - A good little Catholic girl!

I went to Church this Sunday.... and NO I didn't melt or burst in to flames! I haven't been for so long it's ridiculous. I have moved and Kyd isn't at a Catholic school any more and I just haven't had time if I'm honest. But as a traditional Catholic girl *cough* don't laugh *cough* I'd like to get married in the church where my Nan used to go and where my Mum and my Aunts and Uncles where Baptised. I wouldn't get married any where else. I love it, it might be situated next to Reading Prison and a main road but it's also right next to the Abbey Ruins and the Forbury Gardens and Inside... It's like the fairytale church wedding I've pictured since I was tiny. To do this though, I've got to start attending regularly, and as it's nearly Christmas I thought it was the perfect time to show our faces.

Growing up we went to catholic schools. We went to church every Sunday. We went to Sunday School. I've done my First Communion and I've been Confirmed... so what went wrong? How did I end up so far off the rails? I mean I still go to Church at Easter and Christmas and I still deep inside me have everything I was taught. But I don't have as regular attendance like I used to. I grew up and learnt I could choose when I went... and that is exactly what I'm doing now, I'm choosing to go.

I don't have many memories of my nan, but the ones I do have mainly involve going to church or her having a fag in the kitchen. My Mum, Aunts and Uncles all lead busy lives and most don't make it to church now but all their children have been brought up exactly like me. They've all been through the sacraments just like me... and so will Kyd. We all still deep down have that Catholic faith. We disagree with a few, if not most, of the Catholic church's actions. We simply believe in what we've always known. It means a lot to me to still have that little bit of my nan with me.


shoot me down if you will.... but each to their own!



"Forgiven"

You know how us Catholic girls can be
We make up for so much time a little too late
I never forgot it, confusing as it was
No fun with no guilt feelings
The sinners, the saviors, the loverless priests
I'll see you next Sunday

We all had our reasons to be there
We all had a thing or two to learn
We all needed something to cling to
So we did

I sang Alleluia in the choir
I confessed my darkest deeds to an envious man
My brothers they never went blind for what they did
But I may as well have
In the name of the Father, the Skeptic and the Son
I had one more stupid question

We all had our reasons to be there
We all had a thing or two to learn
We all needed something to cling to
So we did

What I learned I rejected but I believe again
I will suffer the consequence of this inquisition
If I jump in this fountain, will I be forgiven
We all had our reasons to be there
We all had a thing or two to learn
We all needed something to cling to
So we did

We all had delusions in our head
We all had our minds made up for us
We had to believe in something
So we did

2 comments:

  1. Great post and as a fellow Catholic girl I couldn't have said it better myself! Thanks for the rendition of Alanis Morrissette - one of my favourites

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's one of mine too! Glad others feel the same... I was worried I'd get shot down by other atheist folk lol I may just have to listen to the song each time I get a comment... what a pity!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment xx